Trough iBeacon technology proximity marketing can become an interesting resource for providers of, both public and private, transportation services.
In an increasingly connected world, where also the city’s free hot spots promote the use of smartphones and mobile devices, beacons can provide users with useful information and become an active interaction instrument between users and service operators.
In many cities around the world transportation companies have already developed their own App, that gives information regarding changes in the service, delays and time schedules. Imagine the development of these Apps with iBeacon technology.
A Beacon installed on a bus allows passengers to access a wide range of services, from paying for a ticketless ticket to reserving a bus stop directly from their smartphone.
Thanks to beacons one can:
- Plan a trip: calculate the fastest route to destination using the public transportation modes available (train, bus, tram, ferry), look up the Home to Work route using the shortcut button.
- Have an interactive map of the bus network: quick checkup, from a bus stop or station, of the vehicles in transit.
- Receive alerts and news: receive notifications regarding changes of service, delays or cancellations.
- Manage a favorites list: a selection of stops, lines and routes of interest to stay up-to-date with.
- Receive support during a trip: receive real time messages on the state of journey, also generated by other passengers thanks to the check-in/check-out function on vehicles.
- Notify the provider: send the service operator/provider notifications regarding the transportation system’s quality and service disruptions.
Thinking about tourism development linked to transportation, Beacons can offer, for example, information about the monuments and landmarks we see while riding the bus, this service is particularly interesting in cities with high tourist activity. Engaging foreign users is also interesting for those companies with whom the transportation service provider can organize cross-aimed activities, immediately usable in foreign language.
Beacons can offer both recreational and advertising contents to everyone travelling on the bus but also to all those who are at the bus stop o are simply near a vehicle equipped with Beacon technology. An evolution of the dynamic billposting system, already used on traditional buses, that allows providers to obtain very interesting data, and in real time, concerning communication flows, useful for future campaign planning.
Technology comes at advertising’s aid to elaborate new branding and branding positioning strategies.